Chiropractic Rehabilitation Centers
TCC to Provide Chiropractic Care at Community Clinic
Texas Chiropractic College and El Centro de Corazon, a community-based social service organization, have entered into a formal agreement to provide chiropractic care to patients at El Centro's Eastwood Clinic. The agreement, formalized on Aug. 17, stipulates that "a licensed chiropractor from TCC's Department of Clinics, working closely with TCC clinic students in their final year of the DC program, will provide chiropractic care, at no charge, to eligible people served by El Centro's Eastwood Clinic."
According to a Life West press release, it is anticipated that the chiropractic clinic will serve 30-60 patients on a weekly basis, attending to patients on Mondays and Thursdays from 12-5 p.m.
"One of the exciting things about this relationship between El Centro de Corazon and Texas Chiropractic College is that it allows us, together as a collaborative team, to offer services to a community that otherwise would not be able to access these services," said Mary Jo May, founder and CEO of El Centro. "Due to the economy, our patients, many [of whom] lack insurance, struggle to pay for their health care visits. This added service will improve their health and will provide access to ancillary care that has been hard to obtain. We are grateful to the College to be able to have this opportunity for our community."
Added Kelvin Shepherd, DO, MEd, El Centro's medical director: "One of the big problems that you see in our patient population is the need for musculoskeletal care and the need for good nutrition counseling and those types of services. I think those are the areas where we are limited right now, so I'm really looking forward to having this service available at El Centro. I think this is going to be a great thing we can offer our patients."
Founded in June 1994, El Centro de Corazon is now a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides adult and pediatric primary care, prenatal, mental health and dental services – and now chiropractic – operating five clinics in the East End, a district in eastern Houston, Texas. To learn more about El Centro, visit www.elcentrodecorazon.org.
By Editorial Staff
Articles and Studies
- Conservative Care Beats Medication for Neck Pain
- Chiropractic at the Minnesota State Zoo
- Careful Coding: Spinal Anomalies
- The Multidisciplinary Model: A Trend That Can't Be Ignored
- Taking a Wrist Series: It's About the Carpals
- Foods Consumed by the Healthiest People: The Sardinian Diet
- What Happens in Texas Won't Stay in Texas
- New Jersey DC Moves Up in the World of Politics
- Informed Consent Comes to California
- Insurance Win for Illinois DCs, Other Providers
- Chiro. Upgrade in Minn. Budget
- Parker Continues Support of Susan G. Komen Walk
- Standard Process Funds Scholarship for SCU Student
- NYCC Sports Science Program Approved by State Education Department
- Dr. Joel Alcantara Joins Life West
- TCC to Provide Chiropractic Care at Community Clinic